After over a year of being away from the office because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the whole team is ready to work in the building again. But if you haven’t been paying attention to its maintenance, more likely, you’ll open the doors to dirty flooring.
The good news is you don’t have to bother yourself with the cleaning. You can always call a commercial cleaning company to do it for you. They will be with you in a few hours to vacuum the carpets, clean them from top to bottom, and sanitize all of your working areas.
They will also remove stains from your upholstery, make sure there isn’t a single germ on the walls and high-traffic areas, etc. If you want to clean everything by yourself, here’s what you should know:
But you might also want to use this time to figure out whether you should change the flooring instead. When confused about whether to use hardwood floors or carpets, read this article to compare both.
Consider Using Carpets If…
What are carpets? This type of flooring has been around for hundreds of years. It’s made from numerous types of fabric (wool, cotton, silk) woven together to create a carpet-like surface.
It became popular back in the day because it was easier to clean than stone. Also, you don’t have to replace or repair it very often as long as you take care of it properly. Other benefits of carpeting include:
- Comfort – they can be more comfortable to walk on than hardwood floors, especially if you have a high-pile carpet.
- Warmth – besides being more comfortable, carpets also help retain the heat better.
- Easy Installation – new carpets are easier to install than new hardwood floors, which require more precision and tools.
- Designs – Carpets are more flexible, so they allow you to choose from a variety of designs. These include strands that look like wood, stone, or grass; loops instead of strands; and different color combinations.
- Affordability – With all of their benefits, carpets are cheaper than hardwood floors.
But carpets are not perfect. They can stain more easily than hardwood floors (meaning you’ll need to clean them more frequently). And even if they don’t, stains will still start peeking through the carpet after a while. They also retain odors more easily. If your office is in an area with heavy traffic, expect carpets to emit unpleasant smells fast.
Consider Using Hardwood Floors If…
Hardwood floors are made of solid pieces of wood (usually oak, maple, or walnut) tightly pressed and glued together. You can find them in unfinished and prefinished forms.
The prefinished ones come with clear varnish, so they don’t stain easily. If you want something more natural-looking, pick the unfinished hardwood floors.
Hardwood floors can also be solid or engineered. The solid ones are made up of one type of wood. The engineered ones consist of multiple layers glued together, making them more durable and flexible (so you can install them without too much hassle).
Hardwood floors make an excellent choice over carpets because of the following:
- Durability – they don’t wear out easily. The only time you should replace them is when they start showing signs of damage from everyday use. Depending on the type of hardwood floors you install, they could last for about 30 to 50 years.
- Warmth – They also retain heat very well.
- Easier to Clean – vacuum them regularly, use a broom occasionally, and you’re good to go.
- Modern Designs – you can find them in different colors and styles (capped, wire-brushed, oiled, etc.). They also come unfinished or prefinished.
But hardwood floors also have limitations. For instance, they are more expensive than carpets. They can be slippery, so it might be better to have an area rug under your desk. And since hardwood floors are made of real wood, they can also change color over time because of exposure to sunlight and humidity.
Hardwood floors are better than carpets when it comes to durability, warmth, and ease of cleaning. So if you want something that can last for years without too much maintenance on your end, then hardwood floors are worth considering.
On the other hand, choose carpets if you want something easy to work with and fits your budget. Also, they are excellent when you want warmth during winters.
Regardless of the type of flooring you choose, remember that what matters most is how well you maintain it. That’s how you can make them look shiny and new for as long as possible. When you don’t know how to take care of these floors, call a professional for help.